Goodwill Refashion!!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's much too cold today to go out and about so I thought I'd stay inside and make use of all my Goodwill finds.  First up is this groovy shirt.

Despite my hubby telling me I looked good in it didn't sway my decision any.  I still took the scissors to it.  I pretty much followed this tutorial I found on
For the lining I used an old pillowcase.  I cut the outer and lining fabric at approx. 18.5 x 13 inches.

I also cut iron on interfacing for both panels.  I only had a lightweight interface so I had to make due with that.  A heavy weight interface would definitely be better.   With right sides facing together I sewed the two long sides and one short side together.  I allowed for a 1/2 in. seam allowance.  I discovered Polyester is not the easiest fabric to work with.  By the time I got done sewing the last side my fabric had puckered and was all lopsided.  In came my handy dandy seam ripper whom I've acquired a love hate relationship with.

I didn't want my flap to be straight across so I measured about two inches in on each side and sewed at an angle.  Then flipped it right side out and ironed it.


I then top stitched around the three edges, 1/4 inch.  I used Sulky thread in a real pretty dark gold color.  So by this time I realized how flimsy my clutch was going to be.  Luckily I've been hoarding all the old enevelope boxes my office has been throwing out.  I knew I'd find good use for them!

Laid out my fabric and traced around.  I only cut enough cardboard for the flap and back of the clutch.  I didn't line the front of the clutch with cardboard because I didn't want it to be too stiff.  I wanted to be able to cram a lot of stuff into it if need be and it be able to expand.


Next step was inserting the magnetic clips.  I took some time folding up the clutch in equal thirds to make sure it was the size I wanted it to be.  I actually ended up cutting about 1/2 in off the unsewn bottom to make it a little smaller.  The clips were super easy to attach. I just marked where I wanted them and inserted them into the fabric.  They were the kind with the prongs on the back that you insert it between the two layers.  If you've ever worked with them then you know what I'm talking about.  Next step is finishing up the final raw edges by folding in, ironing then sewing about 1/4 in from the edge.  For some reason this took me the longest.  I used the seam ripper three times on this task.  First time was because my lovely polyester fabric puckered and I didn't like it.  Second time was because halfway in my bobbin ran out.  Now I know I could just re thread my bobbin and start from where I left off but it didn't look right to me so I ripped it out and started over.  I'm such a perfectionist.  Third time I had the same problem as the first.  I finally took the time to pin it to death so there was no chance of it moving when I was sewing.

Final step is turning the bottom part inside out and sewing the sides.   Fold it right side out and iron.

And there you have it, a groovy clutch!!  I just love it!


Now I just need some place to go!!!

You Might Also Like


  1. I love how you recycled that fabulous fabric!! Great tutorial too!! TFS! I am your newest follower here and on Pinterest.

    Thanks for following me too!! Also I have a Pinterest link on my blog too.

    I look forward to seeing your other creations here and on FB.

    Have a great day!

  2. I am definitely going to give one of these a try, it looks lovely and easy to make but great once made. Thanks for the inspiration.

    1. Yes it was really easy to make, took me an evening to do it. I wanna see your pics if you make one! :)

  3. Hi Shanni,

    Thank you very much for sharing!
    Wondeful tips and very cute combination.

    I'll try to make one soon;)

    One Love!