Ralph Got A Makeover & MMM Roundup Weeks 2 & 3Saturday, May 24, 2014
My Me Made May pledge was to wear at least one handmade piece 3 times a week and to tackle my refashion/wip stash. Let's see how the last two weeks played out shall we?
- My first Maria Denmark Olivia Tee. This was made out of a clearance knit from Joann's labeled "Juvenile Knit". The dinosaurs remind me of the Flinstone vitamins I took as a "juvenile". Along with the Barney and Fred shapes was their pet dinosaur Dino. Grape was my favorite flavor. I still by them every now and then.
- Sewaholic Renfrew made out of another "juvenile knit" from Joann's...butterflies and hearts. I just love these knits. They are so comfy and soft. I just wish they offered "mature knit" that had some age appropriate designs. These have been perfect to lounge around the house in and you can't beat $3 a yard to use as target practice.
- Maria Denmark Olivia Tee #3 blogged in my last post. Here I was on my way to my Bernina dealer to see why my machine was misbehaving. I was a little sad as I thought she was gonna have to stay overnight. Sad face not necessary as everything checked out and she returned home safely the same day.
- Yes more Olivia Tees! And yes I wore mine for two days in a row! This was Mother's Day and I had made my Mom one in a stripey knit from Hart's Fabric. I wanted to get our picture together in our matching tees. She really liked hers and I can't wait to make her another.
- Jennifer Lauren Vintage Afternoon Blouse. I wasn't feeling selfies that day but I wore it with my navy blue capris just like I did here.
- Deer & Doe Plantain Tee. I was multitasking in this pic. While crouched down trying to stretch out my favorite ready to wear jeans the urge struck to take a MMM selfie. At that same moment the urge struck Vito to get me into a game of fetch with the floppy fox toy.
I only managed to get one refashion done so far. I closed my eyes and reached into my refashion/wip garbage bag and pulled out this gem...
Brand: Ralph Lauren Size: XL
Goodwill Price Tag: $1.00
Goodwill Price Tag: $1.00
I cut it all to pieces and had intentions of following Sunni's tutorial and turning it into a Box Blouse. I wasn't going to have enough fabric for each of the needed rectangles so I cut the front and back piece sides down about 5 inches and sewed back together. I was able to keep the original bust darts in place. The back of the blouse was way too big and poofed out near the bottom hem. To fix I added some darts by simply tracing the darts from Christine Hayne's Sassy Librarian Blouse.
I traced the desired neckline with chalk, cut and finished with bias binding. The sleeves were finished with bias binding as well....mainly because I couldn't get the shortened sleeves back on without puckers so I cussed them out and gave up.
I'm happy with the way it turned out and I think it looks really good paired with my red
Speaking of red...
I cant believe May is almost over! Enjoy the weekend everyone!!